iTeachMaths
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iTeachMaths

Teaching Mathematics in Experimental Language Schools in Egypt

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Learning Outcomes of Mathematics in Arabic
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 3:08 am by scream33

» Fear of solving word problems.
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 10:20 pm by احمد يحيى سعيد

» Should you use a math dictionary?
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm by saed255

» Vedic Mathematics 3 CD Full Interactive
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 pm by hagag9

» first Topic (mathematics Books)
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 1:47 am by hamedms

» Primary 3 -2nd term unit1 lesson 1
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:36 pm by amin salama

» Lockhart's Lament
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 9:13 am by Mrmath

» LapTop just click to win a laptop
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 5:48 am by Mrmath

» Problem Solving Answers
Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 3:00 pm by Mrmath

Keywords
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 105 registered users
The newest registered user is wenbrand

Our users have posted a total of 40 messages in 13 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 64 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:38 pm
Forum

Should you use a math dictionary?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrmath
Admin

Should you use a math dictionary? Empty
PostSubject: Should you use a math dictionary?   Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 8:33 am

When it comes to what is fashionable in homeschooling, these days lap books, notebooking, lapbooking, whatever term you use, are definitely "in". I haven't seen much anything for math, though. And no, I haven't made any lapbooks either! But I do have an idea for one:

Let your child/student make their own math dictionary! Just make a new page in it every time there is a new concept or term to study. The student can write the term, write an explanation, an example calculation, or draw a picture of it − or all of those.

Making such a math vocabulary book shouldn't take lots of time, because you don't usually encounter new words every single lesson in a typical math curriculum. The rest of the time the book can act as a reference or as a review medium.

There is one exception though, and that is GEOMETRY. In geometry, just about all the time you have new terms to
learn. In fact, a big part of the geometry in elementary grades is simply learning the meaning of words such as parallel, perpendicular,trapezoid, vertical angles, symmetry, diameter, radius, circumference, and so on.

I know; I've written a geometry book. In it, I encourage kids to make such a geometry notebook for themselves.

There also exist very nice already written math dictionaries:

1)Online dictionaries.

The two mentioned below complement each other, and are free!

Visual Mathematics Dictionary - includes definitions of terms, often with pictures, and links to related terms, which I think is a very nice feature.

A Maths Dictionary For Kids 2007 - this one explains the term and often has some kind of interactive activitiy you can do right on the site, such as converting Celsius to Fahrenheit, or draw triangles, color or click things.

2) Printed dictionaries
Printed ones can make a nice reference for your home library.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Math Dictionary for Kids: The Essential Guide to Math Terms, Strategies, and Tables[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This handbook includes illustrated, concise explanations of the most common terms used in general math classes. The 400 illustrated definitions and examples are categorized by subjects that include ... measurement; algebra;geometry; fractions and decimals; statistics and probability; and problem solving. Each term has a concise definition and an example or illustration.

Math Dictionary: The Easy, Simple, Fun Guide to Help Math Phobics Become Math Lovers[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

An A to Z list of some of the most common terms you'll hear in a math classroom.

The terms cover general arithmetic, geometry, algebra, graphing,probability, statistics, and much more. Advanced mathematical terms such as those used in calculus are not covered. Each definition is spelled out in plain terms, often with simple diagrams to illustrate, eliminating any confusion.

Visual Math Dictionary

This reference has over 600 definitions and additional resources including tables, rules and symbols. Math terms are
explained simply and visually with ample examples in two colors and clear, concise wording. Visual descriptions of many important concepts abound, including rules for finding area and volume, data representation, financial math, rational numbers equivalents, factors,figurative numbers, the international system, transformations, prime and composite numbers and much more.
Back to top Go down
http://iteachmath.formyjob.net
saed255
New Teacher

Should you use a math dictionary? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should you use a math dictionary?   Should you use a math dictionary? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm

فاشىنسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسس
Back to top Go down

Should you use a math dictionary?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
iTeachMaths :: English In Use :: Mathematics Dictionary-
Jump to: